Q: I'm having Pure Maintenance service my home, what should I do to prepare?

A: The home will need to be vacant during the dry fog process, so plan a place for you and your pets to be during the services. You will receive a message a few days prior to your service that will confirm your appointment and give basic instructions on how to prepare your home. They are simple things like open all closets, close all windows, etc.

Q: Do I need to take paintings and wall art down before the treatment?

A: Because the of the dryness of the fog, Pure Maintenance has never had an issue with wall art or paintings, but many people feel more comfortable taking expensive paintings down or covering them with a blanket.

Q: What about fruit or other foods left out in the kitchen?

A: The EverPURE chemical used by Pure Maintenance has been FDA approved for food contact, but to retain the fresh taste of your produce you may want to place it in a zip lock bag or refrigerator.

Q: How long before I can re-enter my home?

A: Each job is different depending on the size of the home, but a Pure Maintenance employee will let you know how long the process will take when the treatment estimate is submitted to you. You may notice a different smell when you return, but that will dissipate quickly.

Q: Is it safe?

A: Absolutely. The products are "green" and have been approved by the EPA. In addition, supplemental and holisitic medicine physicians regularly refer their patents to us.

Q: Do I need to get everything out of the house?

A: No, in fact, you want to keep as many of your belongings inside the home as possible. Mold spores get trapped inside fabrics, furniture, clothing, mattresses, etc. and all of those things should be treated as well.

Q: Will it get behind my walls and in my ceilings?

A: Our patented technology creates a 7.5 micron sized particle. A mold spore is between 12 and 30 microns. Thus, any place a mold spore can fit, the fog particle will also fit. In special situations where there is a known issue behind a wall or in a ceiling, we can poke a few 1/8 inch holes between the studs to treat inside the wall or ceiling cavity.

Q: Will I need to clean everything after the treatment?

A: Not at all. Our process leaves no visible or tangible residue, so your home and all items in it will be clean. Normal weekly cleaning to maintain a healthy, dust- and debris-free environment should continue as usual.

Q: Does it kill bugs?

A: Insects certainly do not like the dry fog, and many customers report that it has killed pests, but the EPA has not approved it as a pesticide so we avoid making any claims about bugs.

Q: What will the mold look like after the treatment?

A: The stains that the mold has created will not go away with the dry fog alone, but we can clean them for you at a small additional cost. If you to do that yourself after the treatment, everything will be perfectly safe to handle at that point.

Q: How long does it last?

A: If all moisture and water issues are resolved, this is a very permanent solution. With minor water issues like humidity or condensation on windows, we have tested it out about 6 years and have not been able to get mold growth because of the EverPURE antimicrobial protectant. With major water issues, you will only get about 90 days of protection.

Q: How will I know if it worked?

A: Your technician will take an air sample upon completing the treatment and send it to an independent third-party laboratory. We use an accredited mold lab that has no affiliation with any mold testing or mold remediation companies. About 3-4 business days after the treatment, you will receive the lab results via email.